- 1 Medium eggplant (sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick)
- 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or 2 tsp fresh)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or aquafaba, or flax egg)
- 2 cups marinara
- Nooch Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray an 11×13-inch baking dish and 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Place eggplant slices on racks over the sink or paper towels and sprinkle both sides of slices lightly with salt. Let eggplant drain for 30 minutes, rinse, and pat dry with paper towels. Place eggplant slices on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until eggplant is soft, about 15 minutes.
Pour flax egg into a shallow bowl; combine panko bread crumbs with Italian seasoning in a separate shallow bowl; combine flour salt and pepper in a shallow tray. Press into flour mixture, followed by a dip into the flax egg and press into panko crumbs to coat. Place breaded eggplant back on the baking sheets and spray the slices with cooking spray.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven’s broiler.
- Broil eggplant slices until tops are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes; remove slices, turn, and spray other sides with cooking spray. Broil until golden brown 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove eggplant and turn oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spread 1/3 of the pasta sauce into bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half the eggplant slices. Spread another 1/3 of the sauce over the layers; layer the remaining eggplant, remaining pasta sauce.
- Bake casserole in the 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.